Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Community

If you are not watching Community, you are so missing out. I’ve been watching it since the first episode because I love Joel McHale and had to see how he handled really “acting”, and, admittedly, it started out a little slow – as most new shows do. But the characters were good and you could see it had promise. Although, even I was unsure how they could make a show about adults in community college hold up over multiple seasons.

They are now half way through season 2 and they seem to have figured that out.

The show has gone from regular sitcom filled with pop culture references and normal story arcs, to a complete parody of pop culture references done so well that you don’t even know they’re happening. It’s so smooth, so funny, and so out there, yet so sweet.

I will never expect a big wedding episode or someone having a baby. And if they do that, it will be done so awesomely and in complete self parody. The “will they or won’t they” storyline between Jeff and Britta was dealt with and moved out of the way back in season 1. The relationship between Jeff and Britta is so real for a show that finds itself mostly stuck in fantasy that it makes Friends seem like sci-fi.

Last night they aired their Christmas episode. I was nervous. They did it in stop-motion animation (think Rudolph). It just seemed a little too gimmicky. I didn’t think they could pull it off. But they did. Of course, they did. It was probably the most touching episode, but not in a total sappy way. It was just really good and I like it the more and more I think of it.

Season 1 is out on DVD and on my Christmas list. I suggest you pick it up.

It’s astounding that NBC is keeping this show on the air (for now). It’s really like nothing else on their line up. So watch it, so it stays there.

No comments: