Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

What I Like About 2009 - TV

It seemed to really ramp it up this year. There was so much worth watching. I found my schedule completely taken over by TV. Even with DVR it was difficult to keep it up. Let's take a look at what aided in my lack of a social life in 2009:

Favorite New Sitcom
Modern Family


Modern Family is a show about 3 different sections in one fairly well off family. There's the Patriarch (played by former Al Bundy, Ed O'Neil) and his new, much younger Columbian wife and her young son from a former relationship. There is the daughter and her husband and three kids: The popular 15 year old daughter, the nerdy 12 year old daughter, and the strange young son) Then there is the gay son and his partner and their new adopted Chinese baby.

The show is done documentary style, much like The Office. I love the characters. Ed O'Neil always has held a soft spot in my heart. I don't know why. It's funny, it's sweet, it's clever. It's must watch.

Favorite Comedy That I'm Just Rediscovering This Year
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia


Oh dear lord this show is fantastic. I remember watching the first season when it first aired and really enjoying it. Then they brought in Danny Devito and I stopped. Funny now that Mr. Devito is one of my favorite parts of the show. Actually, all 5 main characters are equally favorited. Dennis, Dee, Mac, Charlie, and Frank all make me laugh like no other. If you are easily offended, stay away. For everyone else, start watching. You will not be disappointed.



Favorite Show That Ended This Year (2 way tie)
Prison Break and Monk


Prison Break may be the most ridiculous show I have ever watched and loved with every ounce of my being. The plot never made sense. The dialogue was cheesy and forced. The acting was subpar. But it was always the most intense 44 minutes I've ever watched on television. An episode would be just moving along and always at the 30 minute mark, things would kick into high gear and I would have to watch hiding behind a pillow.

Monk may be the most docile, feel good show I have ever watched and loved with every ounce of my being. Each mystery was always easily solved. Mr. Monk would always stumble across something completely random that would solve the case. I feel I truly cared for each character. My only issue was that Lieutenant Disher ended up with Sharona, Monk's old assistant. She is so not his type.


Favorite New Show I Hope Returns Next Year As Good As It Started
V


After only 4 episodes, V went on hiatus and is returning in March. My hope is that they tweak out all the issues and it comes back stronger because it has a lot of potential. I was a big V fan when the mini-series originally aired, so it's return was welcomed. With Juliette from Lost (sorry, I don't know her real name and am too lazy to look it up) at the helm, I was sure to watch it. The head Visitor, Anna, has kept me hooked in. What fantastic casting. She is incredibly intriguing. Please come back and be good and not be cancelled.

Favorite Show That Will End Next Year
Lost


Since I just started my blog a year ago, this year was the first year I did my recaps, and it was so much fun, yet so difficult. There is always so much going on that it is hard to capture it all. I love this show so much and I will be so sad to see it end next year. But it is right that it is ending and will not go on to rot away like so many shows do.

Other TV Highlights

-How I Met Your Mother continues to be a steady and reliable show to watch every Monday night. I always know I will laugh. I'm relieved they broke Barney and Robin up. I wasn't feeling that relationship.

-Community is another new show that is grabbing my attention. Joel McHale is one of my favorite people so I'm happy to see him on another show each week. The writing has really tightened up and the characters are developing well. I'm glad NBC is giving it a chance.

-Another season of American Idol came and went with a winner I can deal with. Kris Allen may not be the Next Big Thing, but I think he'll have a nice career full of easy breezy adult contemporary mini-hits.

-I'm back on the Survivor train after a crazy season led by the scheming Russel. If it wasn't for him, this season would have been a real drag as it seems no one else was playing the game. I'm happy to hear that he will be a part of the All Star season starting in February. Now I'm going to have to watch that.

-Unfortunately, there are only two good things I can say about this season of Project Runway. 1. I won the office pool. 2. Tim Gunn wore and apron and made cookies. But next year they are back in New York with Nina Garcia and Michael Kohrs at the judges table every episode. That can only mean good things.

Which shows had you glued to the TV this year?

No comments: