Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gloria Estefan is in My Brain


Somehow Gloria Estefan’s musical catalogue has infiltrated its way into my brain and presses play almost every morning when I get in the shower. I don’t know where this comes from. It’s not like I wake up to Lite FM on the alarm clock every morning. It’s not like I have any of her songs on any of my musical devices. And it’s not like I go to bed thinking about her at night.

Yet, multiple times a week, I get up, step into the shower, and suddenly I’m singing one of her many hits from the 80s. The most popular track is the uber-power ballad “Don’t Want to Lose You”. 


It shows up in different sections. Usually the first line: “Sometimes it’s hard” but other times I mind goes straight into the big chorus “I don’t want to lose you now!”.

This morning it was “1-2-3-4”. 


I haven’t thought about this song in years. I have no idea how it found its way into my brain. If I was counting, I would think the more current “1234” by Feist would be the song that would take over. But no. It was Gloria Estefan once again.

Other songs of hers that pop up in the mornings: “Bad Boys” and the big song “Coming Out of the Dark”. Remember that song? Remember how she got into a horrible bus accident and was almost paralyzed, but then she came out of the dark and could walk and dance again?

Not sure what she’s up to these days. Has she regrouped with the Miami Sound Machine? Has she aged well? I don’t know. I suppose I could look it up, but I’m really not all that interested.

But, I think one of these vocal talent shows should pick her up. If I remember, from the days I used to watch those shows, her songs are quite popular with the contestants.

Or maybe she’s been busy creating some sort of mind control device that makes it so I wake up to her songs every morning.


No comments: