Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dream Log #13

I was at an Ani Difranco show. I was sitting to the side of the stage, sort of backstage. It was an outdoor show.

She sounded great and I got super excited when she played a song she hadn't performed in years, "Promised Land". Even though it's not one of my favorites, it's always nice to hear something different.

But then, she started to play a new song, a song she said she just wrote. I leaned in to listen, and was struck by the familiarity of the opening chords. It sounded just like one of my songs! I shrugged it off as the chords are just A and Dm and nothing too crazy there.

But then the rest of the instruments joined in just like they do on my song and then she started singing my words and - though part of me was hugely flattered that one of my favorite musicians liked my song enough to steal it - the other part of me was horribly offended. I couldn't believe she was saying it was hers! And where did she get it? It hasn't been released yet!

Post show, I walked over to where she was signing some albums. I said "I know that song isn't yours." She looked at me and said she didn't know what I was talking about. I said, "That's my song you're passing off as your own." She said started to back away and said, once again, she didn't know what I was talking about and then ran off backstage.

And then I woke up.

No comments: