Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Inception

Friday night I finally saw Inception. I was concerned that since I had waited so long to see it that it would never live up to the hype. I had managed to stay spoiler free, but knew enough to know that the ending would leave me guessing. And it did.

The most basic premise of Inception goes like this:

Leonardo DiCaprio plays a guy who has perfected controlling people’s dreams. He has a group of cohorts, each with a specialty that help him to achieve various projects he’s hired for. His group is hired by a businessman to go into a rival’s dream and plant a thought that will help him beat the rival’s company. It’s a tricky maneuver to implant an idea into someone’s brain so they have a very complicated process. And this is where all the action takes place in the film. There is a side story about Leonardo’s wife that is integral to the storyline and that I won’t get into here as I do not want to spoil it.

My plot description is seriously lacking. It’s a complicated movie that is nothing without the visual. It really captures dreams well. I was completely engrossed throughout the whole two hours. The performances were great. The action was intense. The story was well thought out. I find I’m pretty good at catching plotholes, especially in movies where time and reality are at stake and there were none I could find here. Of course, now I will go read about it online and people will point out a whole bunch of them, I’m sure.

5 stars.

No comments: