Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Replacements At Midway



So I saw The Replacements last weekend. Everyone in Minnesota has already recapped their day at Midway Stadium. I am late to the party. But that's okay.

I always liked The Replacements, but I was never a die hard. I really only knew two albums and their radio singles. I almost wasn't going to go to this because it was expensive and I didn't want to take tickets from someone else who maybe really really really wanted to go.

But I changed my mind the morning the tickets went on sale and I'm so glad I did. It was probably one of the best days of the summer - by far. I had a blast.

It's funny to say summer because it was maybe 55 degrees out and everyone was bundled up in jackets, hats, and scarves. But the sun was shining.

My friends got there early to secure a spot for tailgating. Because, yes, there was tailgating. I'd never tailgated before but it was so much fun. I tip my hat to Kimi and Bart for making that happen. They were excellent hosts of the parking space. Plenty of beer, food, and Bart made the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches.

Needless to say, much drinking was had. But also much fun. It was the type of show that you knew everyone at. There was a lot of positive energy in the air.


The show itself - the reason we were all there: The Replacements reunion - was phenomenal. Matt and I managed to worm our way up fairly close (about 20 rows back) and - for once - I had a perfect view of the stage the entire set. No super tall dude standing right in front of me for rows and rows.

The Replacements sounded excellent. The crowd was super into it and friendly. Nobody was pushing. Everyone was just singing along, pumping their fists, jumping up and down. And despite being about 50 degrees out, it felt warm in the crowd. The sky was crystal clear.

If this happens to be my last outdoor event of this summer, it was a good one.




No comments: