Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

It's Been A Long, Long, Long Time

Once again I am at the point where I haven't written anything here in a while and so I am overwhelmed with things I could write about, yet nothing too crazy or major has happened so it's been hard to write.

Maybe general update time?

If there's one thing that's overwhelmed me lately, it's the ridiculous amount of new music that has come out in the past 6 weeks. I've been immersed in new music so much that I'm not even sure if I'm really enjoying it. That's not saying that it's not good, it's just things keep coming out each week that I get the new one, stop listening to the one that came out the previous week, and then the cycle continues the next week.

A couple standouts though...

Alpha Consumer's Meat is so far my favorite album of the year - besides Beyonce (I feel like I have to put that disclaimer out every time I talk about the best music of 2014 and yes, I know it technically came out in December, but that is barely 2013 anymore). Anyway, it's super fun Devo-esque brilliance with some top notch alt-country thrown in because why not. Excellent driving around with the wind down or dancing in your living room music. The release show is this Saturday at 7th Street Entry. I will be there.


Haley Bonar has released yet another stellar album, Last War. I don't think it's possible for her to write a dud. She's just really really good at writing songs. And we are all better off for it.


The band and I have started recording the new album. We spent last weekend in a studio for about 15 hours recording all of the basic tracks. Drums, bass, guitars...those parts are pretty much done. It's sounding really good. And, of course, now that we are rolling, I just want to finish it! But it will take some time. And I need to be okay with that.

But, a couple of weeks ago, Shawn and I recorded a demo version of one of the new songs. It's called "Daughter" and you can listen to it here:



Other than all that, it's basically summer in Minnesota which means every weekend there is some opportunity to stand in a parking lot outside of a bar and watch live music and drink canned beer. Art-a-Whirl and Memory Lanes Block Party are the two I have attended so far.

Day Job Land has been crazy busy for the past few months and it has finally mellowed out. My brain feels free again to think about things other than work. Of course, now it is filled with constant thoughts on the new album. I suppose it's good to keep the brain occupied.

I feel like I'm missing some major updates, but really, I've just been buying new records, recording my own, and going to shows. Pretty status quo. So I'll end with a picture of Robbie hanging out with me while I listen to the early rough mixes of the album because o my goodness he is the cutest...



No comments: