Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Music: 2013 Edition

I thought I'd take a look back on my own personal year in music. It's always nice to look back and see what was actually accomplished  with myself and the band.

We played 19 shows at a variety of places around town. I got to play at the Triple Rock Social Club for the first time way back in January and Harriet Brewing for the first time in October. We also spent time at favorites like 331 Club, Amsterdam Bar and Hall, Kitty Cat Klub, Turf Club, and The Nomad. And TWO of those were residencies. One in early summer:



And one in late fall:



I updated and revamped my website at the beginning of the year. It's much cleaner and user-friendly - also more web manager friendly for me : )



I released my first music video, made by the wonderful Rev K, for the song "Can't Even Tell". We held a Video Premiere Party at the Amsterdam Bar and Hall on February 16th and were joined by Middlepicker and The White Whales.


We welcomed new drummer John in May. John's been a wonderful addition to our band and we're very happy to have him.

I played a solo set at my first ever Live Letters show hosted by Bethany Larson of Bethany Larson and the Bee's Knees. This was a super fun night. Bethany and her band played a full set and then myself, along with other musicians Reina del Cid, Dan Isreal, and Lydia Liza of Bomba de Luz, joined Bethany on stage and each took turns singing songs.




We released an EP in June titled Intermission with the lead-off single "Blind" debuting on 89.3 The Current on April 4th. We went about Intermission a little differently by recording it via 4 track cassette.



We took part in the Stone Arch Bridge Festival for our third year in a row, performing on Father's Day. This is one of my favorite events of the year and I love so much being a part of it.


We took July off and most of August to prep for my birthday party show at the Turf Club on August 23rd. Also on the bill: Prissy Clerks and Bomba de Luz.


We've added many new songs to our setlists, including the new songs off of Intermission. But we've also been writing and arranging for our third full-length and so far have added 5 currently unreleased songs to our set. Another addition to our set happened at our final show of the year and our final show of our Nomad residency back in November: We've added back-up singers Laura Borgendale and Colleen Borgendale! It was so much fun singing with them! I'm so happy they will be joining us for shows some time and will be singing on some songs on the new album. 

That was 2013. A lot of fun stuff happened. As I always say, I'm so happy I finally took the plunge and started playing music publicly and releasing albums and writing with others and playing with others. I really love it so much. 

We'll see you in the new year with new shows and (hopefully) a new album late 2014.
 

No comments: